Multiple drive controllers

John C. Archambeau jca at pnet01.cts.com
Tue May 8 13:28:38 AEST 1990

This is a question for you people who have successfully hooked up more than
one controller in your machine under SCO Xenix 386.  I have the following
questions:

1. Will an IDE and an ST412/506 controller (set to the secondary port
   addresses) work together?

2. Will an IDE work with the Adaptec SCSI host adaptor?

The game plan is to put several large drives in a 386 machine under Xenix.
I'm getting ready to talk to Everex or an Everex distributor about ESIX on the
same issues before I slap down a purchase order for ESIX complete.

Since ESDI and IDE have a faster transfer rate and 16-bit bandwidth over SCSI,
I will make them the primary drive(s) and make the SCSI and/or ST412/506 the
secondary drives.  I'm leaning more to SCSI for the secondary devices, but I
want all options kept open.  I know SCSI and ST412/506 will play nicely
together under Xenix, but will they play nice with IDE?  I know IDE has the
same port address and IRQ as an ST412/506 controller, but are there any hidden
glitches?

As for the drives I plan on using, they will be either a Seagate Swift (100 Mb
to 200 Mb formatted) or a Conner CP-3104 or CP-3204.  After putting a pair of
CP-3184's in a 386 machine to be used as a Novell file server, I'm happy with
their performance.  Compsurf'ed just fine and no problems with getting it up
and running other than the usual annoying disk swapping.

So if Novell is happy with IDE's I am willing to be money that Xenix will be
as well.

     // JCA

 /*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | Xenix is the ONLY thing
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca at nosc.mil     | Microsoft did right.
 ** INTERNET: jca at pnet01.cts.com
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca