Looking for help with fox and sco

David J. MacKenzie djm at eng.umd.edu
Wed May 9 13:06:50 AEST 1990

>>I am using SCO's foxbase software.  About a year ago I started asking
>>SCO if/when they would put a switch in it to allow users to turn off
>>the copyright screen every time the prog. gets launched (this after

> Surely you realize that you violate copyright by removing the copyright
> notice? This is basic to copyright law - to get copyright protection,
> you have to display a copyright message.

> Display of the copyright message is required both to protect
> our copyrights and those of Fox Software.

I'm not an expert on computer copyright law, but I note that GNU emacs
displays a copyright message on startup by default, but also has a
variable, 'inhibit-startup-message', that you can set in your .emacs
file to suppress the copyright message on startup.  gdb has a '-quiet'
option to do the same thing.  As far as I know, these options do not
jeopardize the copyright of those programs.  What would be wrong with
putting a similar feature in FoxBASE?
--
David J. MacKenzie <djm at eng.umd.edu> <djm at ai.mit.edu>