Corrupted Filesystem * IDEAS *

John C. Archambeau jca at pnet01.cts.com
Wed May 9 13:56:03 AEST 1990

peter at ontmoh.UUCP (Peter Renzland) writes:
>John C. Archambeau writes:
>[...]
>> If your root file system has the the bad superblock and reading the backup
>> superblock(s) just doesn't help.  I am sorry to say that your root file system
>> is gone.
>[...]
>
>Fortunately for those with the small misfortune of having lost a superblock,
>and for those who earn a living doing data rescue, things aren't quite as bad
>as all that.  Superblocks contain very little that's necessary, and nothing
>that can't be reconstructed from an otherwise intact file system.  Don't give
>up hope, and don't believe all the gloomy things you read on the net.

Problem is, if I'm not mistaken, you have to have a good superblock for fsck
to do its job in an acceptable manner.  Are there any publications on the
exact details on step by step recovery of a Unix file system that fsck can't
salvage with any level of success?

     // JCA

 /*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | Xenix is the ONLY thing
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca at nosc.mil     | Microsoft did right.
 ** INTERNET: jca at pnet01.cts.com
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca