Trouble compiling TeX on SCO XENIX

Rpp kayvan at mrspoc.Transact.COM
Fri May 4 10:44:15 AEST 1990

In article <1990May2.121616.22111 at helios.physics.utoronto.ca>
dooley at physics.utoronto.ca (Kevin Dooley) writes:

> I am trying to get a full implementation of TeX running on an
> SCO XENIX 2.3 386 machine.  I fixed the few obvious problems
> of file name length limits and the few include file differences
> which the compiler choked on, but I still get this sort of error.
> Can anybody offer any assistance?

The Microsoft C compiler is broken. It frequently chokes on complex
expressions and can not handle long strings. With tangle.c, it
produces incorrect code.

Use GCC to compile TeX and it will be very painless. I got TeX up
under Xenix with the Microsoft C compiler only after kludging tangle.c
horribly (I threw away the changes after getting GCC and recompiling
TeX). GCC also produces faster and smaller code.

If you want more information, ask me by Email.

			---Kayvan
--
| Kayvan Sylvan @ Transact Software, Inc. -*-  Los Altos, CA (415) 961-6112 |
| Internet: kayvan@{mrspoc.Transact.com, eris.berkeley.edu, largo.ig.com}   |