Curses problems on Xenix/Unix console

Mark Dornfeld rompub at gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca
Sat Mar 16 01:29:50 AEST 1991

I have developed an application in Xenix terminfo curses (Development System
2.3) using primarily vt100 emulation.  All of the curses routines work
properly in that environment.  However, when the application is run
on the SCO Xenix or Unix console, the screen refresh routines look
like they are broken because residue from the previous screens is not
cleared and a number of 'magic cookies' are left on the screen.

However, it is clear the routines aren't broken, because a
second refresh does what the first one was supposed to do.  We have
been able to work around this with a number of inelegant kludges, but
have not been able to identify the problem.

I suspect the problem is in the console driver (VGA in both cases) but
cannot be sure.

Does anyone have any ideas or experience here?

Please respond via email if possible to:

...!utzoo!rom!mark

Mark T. Dornfeld
Royal Ontario Museum
100 Queens Park
Toronto, Ontario, CANADA
M5S 2C6

mark at utzoo!rom      - or -     rompub at utgpu