Documentation for Unix (bsd)

WMartin at SIMTEL20.ARPA WMartin at SIMTEL20.ARPA
Fri Feb 3 02:16:40 AEST 1984

From:  William G. Martin <WMartin at SIMTEL20.ARPA>

I have recently been looking at a new Wiley book on UNIX, which I thought
was pretty good. The book is by Kaare Christian, titled THE UNIX OPERATING
SYSTEM, and is published by John Wiley & Sons. 318 pages, 1983, cost $24.95.

It might be too basic for graduate-level work, as it tries to cover the
whole range of UNIX operations to bring a novice up on UNIX user skills,
but I did find the chapters on System Manager's utilities and the kernel
very helpful in making things clear to me that I was previously somewhat
unsure about.

If your office or organization has been accumulating the various UNIX
texts that have recently been published, as ours has, you should get
this one. I'd also recommend it to someone looking for a good introductory
text.

Will Martin
USArmy DARCOM ALMSA

PS  One problem with this book that might make it unsuitable for your
use is that it is directed at Version 7 UNIX, with no mention of BSD
or the later System III or V releases. That's a little surprising,
considering the recent copyright date. WM
-------