Modula -2 compiler - (nf)

rf at wu1.UUCP rf at wu1.UUCP
Fri Feb 3 03:38:49 AEST 1984

When I last asked after Modula-2 compilers, David Reisner
(ittvax!dcdwest!logo) answered:

    First, do you know that there is a net.lang.m2 (or something
    like that)?

    Second, The compiler (and associated operating system) that
    Springer-Verlag sells is Volition Systems', Del Mar,
    California (area code 619).  The system is a UCSD
    Pascal-like system (in fact it is a spin-off similiar to
    version II.1).  The M2 compiler generates p-code which is a
    superset of (I believe) Apple 1.1 Pascal's.  Some version of
    Apple programs will run without recompilation, and code
    files can be moved between Apple and IBM-PC versions.  The
    compiler (probably) compiles at a few hundred lines per
    minute with floppies.  It does a good job with syntax error
    messages and with recovery (continuing the compilation and
    giving useful syntax information although no code file)
    ('good' here is defined by recursive decent standards which
    are typically higher than LL standards).  The folks at VS
    are excellent programmers and poor businessmen.  I like the
    editor which comes with the system, assuming it is the
    version called ASE.

    The Modula 2 Institute in Utah has a compiler which
    generates M-code (like Wirth's for Lilith) for $60.  Runs on
    MSDOS (I think).

				Randolph Fritz
				Western Union Telegraph
				philabs!wu1!rf