problems with restor

ALMQUIST at SU-SCORE.ARPA ALMQUIST at SU-SCORE.ARPA
Sat Jan 14 10:55:41 AEST 1984

From:  Philip Almquist <ALMQUIST at SU-SCORE.ARPA>

Jim,
	I'm not sure, but what you're describing sounds a whole lot
like what happens if you try to restore a file that's not in the dump
at all.  If the file is included in the dump, restor will tell you its
i-node number when it reads through the first volume of the tape.  If
the file is not in the dump, restor will not tell you the i-node number
but will still ask you to mount another volume!  When you mount the
other volume, the restore will terminate if the file was not included
in the dump.

	Or at least that is my recollection of the situation, from the
one time I ever tried to do a restor on a UNIX system...  Perhaps
there is a wizard out there who can explain why this is so?

						Philip
-------