license questions

andrew at orca.UUCP andrew at orca.UUCP
Sat May 5 02:55:29 AEST 1984

	"I also seem to recall hearing how applications written with
	YACC included Unix code (in libraries?) and had to be licensed
	but I forget the details.  Could someone refresh my memory?"

The output from YACC includes verbatim the file /usr/lib/yaccpar, which
is considered to be part of Unix.  This means that the executable
program obtained from a source written in YACC includes some of Unix
and so may be distributed only to other Unix licensees.  Ditto for LEX
and /usr/lib/lex/ncform.

This information is from a two-year-old AT&T response to a written
query on this very subject.  The response was unequivocal.  But it's
possible that things have loosened up since then, as they seem to have
for the routines from /lib/libc.a which are loaded because of
compiler-generated calls.

  -- Andrew Klossner   (decvax!tektronix!orca!andrew)      [UUCP]
                       (orca!andrew.tektronix at rand-relay)  [ARPA]