undocumented feature of make

tim at callan.UUCP tim at callan.UUCP
Sat May 26 06:52:53 AEST 1984

[At last, I post something other than a csh bug!]

  If you have a Sys ]I[ or Sys V make, and if it is compiled with PWB
defined, then before looking for [Mm]akefile ( or whatever you stuck
after your -f ), it will read [Mm]akecomm.  I guess this is to allow common
definitions for several [mM]akefiles.

  By the way, I found this out in a wierd way.  I made a kernel that had
namei print out the path name it was reading.  When I did a make, I saw
it looking for [Mm]akecomm.  If you are ever bored, do this to your namei.
It is fun to watch!
--
"Now Groo does what Groo does best!"
				    {decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!cithep!tim