Questions on UUCP performance, communication links, and alternatives.

Milan J. Vrenjak milo at psddevl.UUCP
Sat May 26 04:14:30 AEST 1984

We are interested in setting up a network for speedy (4800-9600 baud)
data transfer using UUCP.  A reply to any or all of the following queries
would be greatly appreciated.

    1) What effect is there to the performance of UNIX with multiple
       UUCP usage, i.e., simultaneous data transfer.

    2) Has anyone used DATAPAC (3000+) with UUCP? How well does it work?

    3) What alternate ways of fast data transfer under UUCP are available?
        "      "        "   "   "   "      "       "    "   have been used?
       Any performance data?

    4) Any viable alternatives to UUCP?

We are running close to version 7 UNIX on a PDP 11/44.
Performance and reliability are key issues.

Thanks.

M J Vrenjak
(..utzoo!psddevl!milo)