Does C depend on ASCII?

Mike Eager eager at amd70.UUCP
Tue May 22 09:55:18 AEST 1984

About attaching ASCII terminals to IBM S/370 systems:  Most use an IBM 3704
or 3705.  This is a terminal concentrator & frontend.  It does many wonderful
and magical things.  Given the channel structure of the 370, I doubt that
anyone has a direct connect.  The 3705, by the way, is a IBM 360/50, in
disguise, unless I've been lied to.

Considering the LARGE number of ASCII constants embedded in C programs, I would
be surprised if the UTS system used EBCDIC internally.  I imagine that there
would be code dependencies in many programs.