Need uucp for Hayes dialer

John Gilmore gnu at sun.uucp
Tue Nov 27 16:28:37 AEST 1984

>                                                              I have a problem
> with uucico on my system (Venix 86 on an IBM PC) and have no source license.
>                              I've heard of versions of uucp that allow an
> escape sequence in the expect/send squence to defeat this, but I don't think
> that works on my system.
>  Jim Rosenberg

In general if you have a problem with vendor-supplied software and no
source license, it's time to call your vendor.  If you don't like your
vendor's support, you should have picked another vendor (or sprung
roughly $50K for the source license).  Without legal sources, all we can do
for you is explain the problem, not fix it.

>                                   Is there a version of uucp that some kind
> soul might be good enough to post to net.sources?

There are at least three or four people who know enough to rewrite uucp
in the public domain (Bell owns the "real" one).  One of them claims to
have done so -- Lauren Weinstein.  However, he wants to make some money
on it before (if ever?) releasing it to the public domain.  Last I
heard of any progress on it was about a year ago.  What's up Lauren?