Venix86 Users Group News

Guy Harris guy at rlgvax.UUCP
Wed Nov 28 02:33:49 AEST 1984

> 3.  Venturcom has *put out an appeal* to Unisource to come up with a wish list
> for System V. ... My own personal wish list follows, in no particular
> order:
>
> A.  Clean up tty read() in raw mode to make it consistent with other flavors
> of Unix & return when 1 char arrives from a multi-char. read.

Not applicable to System V.  There's no such thing as "raw" mode in S5;
there's a bunch of modes you turn on and off.  In "~icanon" mode (which turns
off erase and kill processing), you can say how many characters should
complete a multi-character read, and can also say that the read should complete
in some number of 10ths of a second *if* at least one character has come in.
(NOTE: some people have thought that this is a read timeout, and that the
clock starts running at the time the "read" is issued.  It just ain't so.
In S5, if the minimum number of characters to complete the read is 0, the
clock does start when the "read" is issued, but only then; this is emphatically
*not* the case with S3, however.)

> B.  More full suite of Berkeley stuff, including:  Mail, ctags, strings, xstr,
> mkstr, etc.

Well, with S5 Release 2 you get "Mail", only Bell renamed it "mailx" and
changed it around a bit.  No credit given, from what I can tell, except in
the comments in the source code.  Humph.

	Guy Harris
	{seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!rlgvax!guy