Venix86 Users Group News

Goeke at MIT-MULTICS.ARPA Goeke at MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
Wed Nov 28 14:24:11 AEST 1984

          Do add me to the list of those interested in a VENIX users
group.  I've been running it on an 11/23 with a 20MB DSD drive for a
year and a half now, and have been very happy with it.  Interestingly,
Venturcom seems to have forgotten that I exist, since absolutely ZERO
mail has arrived on new products, etc.  since the day I got my floppies.
They share this distinction with DEC who also doesn't realize that past
customers with licenses are possible future customers.
          BTW, I communicate to the rest of the world through this
Honeywell machine called MIT-Multics for a couple of reasons.  Firstly,
I've never gotten 'uucp' to work, though I only spent a couple of hours
trying.  Secondly, a true net link would mean I'd have to connect my
machine to a telephone.  Now in real life, you should understand, my
machine works without passwords.  .  .if you can get to one of it's two
terminals, you get on -- the same with my desk and file cabinet.  I'm
less happy with having to institute some security scheme just because I
want a net connection occasionaly.  Anyway, I use Kermit to talk to
MIT-Multics and drop files; works like a champ, and it compiled with no
difficulties; I may have had to set 1ifdef, but that was it.

                                        -- Bob Goeke
                                           MIT Center for Space Research
                                           Room 37-567
                                           Cambridge, MA  02139