HELP with system accounting

Rick Braman braman at dataio.UUCP
Wed Nov 14 02:21:48 AEST 1984

HELP!!!  I'm a new Unix Systems Administrator and need to know more
about system accounting.  If anyone out there has any advice or software
they could share with me please let me know as soon as possible, as we
are looking into purchasing a new machine and need the accounting info
for justification.

I am aware of the 'sa' and 'ac' programs but would like to know if there
is a way to obtain a more complete accounting (ie: graphs, charts, etc)
of cpu loading.

Also, I have tried to use the printer accounting program 'pac' with no
success.  The accounting file lpacct keeps getting bigger, but when I
try running pac I just get jibberish or else a core dump if lpacct is
extra large.

Any help that could be rendered would be greatly appreciated.  By the
way, we are running 4.2bsd on a VAX 11/750.

                          Many thanks!  uw-beaver!teltone!dataio!braman