Is System V going down the tube?

ron at BRL-TGR.ARPA ron at BRL-TGR.ARPA
Fri Oct 5 04:37:29 AEST 1984

From:      Ron Natalie <ron at BRL-TGR.ARPA>

The reason I suspect that everyone is running Xenix rather than either
of the two stock AT&T releases (by the way, I don't trust anything Yates
says) is that they are not for micros.  They are written for PDP-11's
and VAX's.  If you were a micro manufacturer, would you go out and do
your own unix port of the AT&T code, if you could get one for your
processor already from Microsoft.  Microsoft is in the business of making
micro UNIX ports, AT&T isn't (or if they are, they aren't doing anything
yet).  I really think that the quality of the different versions was not
a major factor.

Xenix is a nice product however.  I got to stick my nose into Xenix III
for the 80286 and was fairly impressed.

-Ron