accounting code

HEDRICK at RUTGERS.ARPA HEDRICK at RUTGERS.ARPA
Thu Oct 4 13:24:44 AEST 1984

From:  Charles Hedrick <HEDRICK at RUTGERS.ARPA>

I have received several requests for the accounting code that I said I
was doing in a message some time ago.  Unfortunately it involves some
programs that are a bit too big for net.sources, at least before some
other sites have tried it out to make sure that it is really
exportable.  For those of you with access to the Arpanet, I have bundled
everything up into a TAR save set and put it on RUTGERS, a file a file
	t:<pyramid>accounting.tar
To summarize, this code uses the gid as an account number.  It includes
changes to login to ask the user which account to use if he has more
than one, and changes to login and init to write cpu and connect time
records to a transaction file.  It includes a Pascal program to
read the transaction file and produce reports.  There is another
Pascal program to merge reports to produce summaries, and to write a
shell script to mail usage reports to account managers.  There is
a C program to create new users.  Much of this code is meaningful only
for 4.2.  There are some things missing (such as accounting for printing
and disk usage).  The reporting programs handle them, but I am not
currently writing them to the transaction file.  You should start by
looking at the file u1/hedrick/accounting-export/ReadMe.

Other files that you may find useful on t:<pyramid> are
   profile.ml - for EMACS.  Sets up keypad support for some common
	terminal types
   sdb.card - an extended "reference card" for SDB.  I found the
	SDB man pages to incomprehensible that I decided to try
	something else.  This may not be much better, to be honest.
   tutorial.txt - our copy of Unix emacs has a "learn" function, but
	the tutorial that it tries to load is missing.  This one
	is hastily constructed from the Tops-20 version.  Beware
	that it assumes you have the keypad support in profile.ml
   unix.doc - a "reference card" for Unix.  Assumes 4.2 and the
	C shell.

Warning: when FTP'ing the Tar save set (but *not* the other files) from
a Unix system, you should issue the "tenex" command before the "get"
command.  The file is stored on the DEC-20 as 8-bit binary, which is
not its normal format.  This will tell your FTP and our FTP to
pass 8-bit binary instead of the usual 7-bit text.  This does not just
affect the binary portions of the save set: the whole thing will be
mangled without it.

Disclaimer:  This software has received very little testing.  It is not
guaranteed to be good for any particular purpose, or indeed any purpose
at all.  Neither I nor Rutgers University will provide any support,
though naturally I would like to hear of any bugs or improvements.
(Portions of the preceding were prerecorded for broadcast at this time.)

-------