csh aliases

David Sherman dave at lsuc.UUCP
Tue Mar 12 04:36:38 AEST 1985

In article <630 at mako.UUCP> glenm at mako.UUCP (Glen McCluskey) writes:
||Has anyone thought of modifying the C shell to allow aliases on
||other than the first word of each command?  For example, assuming
||a new alias command called ``nalias'', one might say:
||	% nalias t '/etc/termcap'
||	% more t
||	% nalias pipe '|'
||	% sort xyz pipe uniq

Oh, come now. Feeping creaturism. This is what shell variables
are for. I don't use csh at all, and use shell variables in the
Bourne shell for both commands and file/directory names.
	t=/etc/termcap
	more $t

	pipe='|'
	sort xyz $pipe uniq

Dave Sherman
--
{utzoo pesnta nrcaero utcs hcr}!lsuc!dave
{allegra decvax ihnp4 linus}!utcsri!lsuc!dave