ksh availability

Guy Harris guy at rlgvax.UUCP
Mon Mar 11 15:45:12 AEST 1985

> Well, I don't know about you, but it only cost me $800 for UNIX, including
> the csh.  Now they want to sell me the "ksh" for another $2000.  No thanks.
> This is one piece of software that for the price deserves to be pirated!

Point 1:

If you got source for that $800, AT&T got ripped off and their lawyers will
want to get somebody.  The $2000 for "ksh" is for the *source* - that means
if you don't have a UNIX source license, you probably can't get "ksh" source
for $2000 anyway.

Point 2:

That $2000, if you could get it, is an *organization-wide* license.  That's
not $2K per machine.  That's $2K per UNIX system licensee.  If you have
1 site, or 10 sites, or 100 sites, you pay $2000 *once* and may then put
"ksh" up on all 1, 10, or 100 machines.

Point 3:

There is a separate provision for binary licenses.  Any company that wants
to offer "ksh" in binary form to their binary sublicensees pays, I think,
$20K - again, a *one-time* payment.  They may then offer "ksh" to all their
binary licensees for whatever price they want to charge (and can get).

	Guy Harris
	{seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!rlgvax!guy