use of net.sources

Joe Orost joe at petsd.UUCP
Wed Mar 27 13:37:07 AEST 1985

Lauren is partially right.  net.sources should not be used to distribute
large, important, and useful programs.

Instead, they should be posted to "mod.sources" via "genrad!sources".  This
way, the moderator can limit the amount of source being transferred per day,
and can check that the "shar" packages are appropriately built.

My "compress" program was distributed via mod.sources, and I didn't see
any requests for re-transmissions.

Limiting access to ARPA sites, or via tape/snail mail severely limits the
distribution, and causes much more work to be performed by the author after
donating the freeware.

					regards,
					joe

--
Full-Name:  Joseph M. Orost
UUCP:       ..!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!joe