use of net.sources

lauren at rand-unix.ARPA lauren at rand-unix.ARPA
Sat Mar 23 06:51:24 AEST 1985

I strongly suggest that we AVOID the use of net.sources (or new
subgroups) for new, large software distributions.  Except for
fairly small postings, net.sources is an EXTREMELY UN-economical
way to distribute software.  Little programs are fine, but
big source distributions never reach large portions of the network
intact and result in endless repostings and lost money.  Instead
of forcing the entire network to pay the charges for such postings,
I suggest that people consider using the more traditional methods
of sending tapes when distributions are more than a couple of
100K, or using direct mail/FTP/kermit if practical.  But posting many
hundreds of thousands of bytes to Usenet just DOESN'T WORK as
a practical matter most of the time, and the amount of waste
that results (in terms of transmission time, phone costs, etc.)
is incredible.  It just results in more nails in the Usenet coffin.

---

By the way, the software-ethics list is still in formation.  One interesting
point that several people already pointed out to me is that
the use of notices in sources such as:

	"May be freely distributed but not used for profit, or
         many only be distributed if you do this and that..."

appear to have virtually no force of law.  If something is marked for
open distribution, it apparently is a no-op to try put specific
restrictions on "modes" of distribution--people can sell or distribute
such things in any manner they choose.  Apparently there have been
at least two recent court cases (involving sales of software that
were marked "not to be sold for profit" [or some such]) where the
software WAS sold and the courts ruled in favor of the sellers.
The reasons for the rulings are interesting, but I won't go into
them here at this time.  I don't necessarily agree with those decisions,
nor do I suggest that they should guide anyone's actions (since I
have not looked up the court references myself and so have not
verified the information that was sent to me on this topic) but
I just thought I'd pass the basic info (as I received it) along.

--Lauren--