Are these the disks for me?

lacasse at rand-unix.arpa lacasse at rand-unix.arpa
Sat Apr 26 10:57:19 AEST 1986

I would be careful on the the Spectralogic, as I don't think they have sold
many controllers and you will likely find Unix software support lower
because of this.

Dilog makes some nice controllers.  I don't know about this one.  They
aren't as popular as Emulex, but have some nice features Emulex doesn't
(flexible formating for any parameters of tracks, arms, etc; error
re-vectoring).

Emulex is the clear leader.  You might consider their SC-7003.  Its a new
product, 8 drives, 3.0 MB/S SMD.  We have one on order ourselves.

We ordered it with the Fujitsu Eagle II (M2361) you mention.  We figured
it is probably a good drive, since it is the same mechanically as the Eagle I
(M2351).  We have about 10 of those, over a few years.  We've had only
one failure.

If the CDC you mention is the 3.0MB/S one with about 800 MEG, we looked
at that too.  It has good specs, and about the same price as the Eagle II.
We didn't take the time to find out if it was as reliable as the Eagle.
At the time (2 weeks ago) I was under the impression it had been out only
45 days.  But it turns out that is just how long Emulex has been selling it.
Its been sold for Data Generals and such for something like a year.  If
you find it is, or is not, as reliable as the Eagle, please let me know.

      Mark LaCasse                  qantel!hplabs!sdcrdcf!randvax!lacasse
      c/o The Rand Corporation       cbosgd!ihnp4!sdcrdcf!randvax!lacasse
      1700 Main Street              lacasse at Rand-Unix
      Santa Monica, CA 90406
	213/393-0411  ext. 7420