Bringing up Ingres on SUN

Jeff Anton anton at ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU
Thu Apr 24 13:02:29 AEST 1986

Lots of little changes are required to move Ingres to the SUN.
Getting it to compile and link is the easy part.  (all you have to do
is replace the assembly routines with existing library routines)
However, the BIG problem is our old friend byte ordering.
I worked with Ingres source for years before trying the SUN port.
Hear are a few big and difficult to discover problems:
in h/ingres.h
There is a struct tup_id which looks approx. like:
	c_1	lineno, b0, b1, b2;
which on a 68k or similar byte order machine should be:
	c_1	b2, b1, b0, lineno;
If this is not correct creatdb will enter an infinite loop.
related is iutil/utility.c struct lpage like:
	c_1	lpg2, lpg1, lpg0, lpgx;
which on a 68k or similar byte order machine should be:
	c_1	lpgx, lpg0, lpg1, lpg2;
If this is not correct creatdb will enter an infinite loop.
I remember in dbu/modify.c there are lots of setp's of arguments that
had been cast with (char *) that need to be fiddled with.

In general once these problems are fixed you can do normal debugging.

The mythical 4.3BSD release will contain version 8.7 Ingres which compiles
and runs resonably on a SUN or similar machine.  It does not pass all
of our tests so it should really be looked at more.  We don't have that
man or machine power to track the problems down compleatly.  The system
might also be availble from the Sun User Group's Donated Software
Distribution in the future.

I can't give out diffs of what must be done because my work is based on
an intermediate version. (8.5)
--
C knows no bounds.
					Jeff Anton