Hayes modem on HDB UUCP?

Ron Heiby heiby at cuae2.UUCP
Fri Aug 15 01:55:41 AEST 1986

The last time I checked with our top tier of UNIX system support,
they had investigated the use of the Hayes modems quite extensively
and could come up with no *reliable* method of making them work
bi-directionally.  They work fine in an incoming only or outgoing
only environment.  You can kludge something into the login prompt
in /etc/gettydefs to change the modem's mode around that makes it
work bi-directionally except for the first incoming call after an
outgoing call.  The solution I opted for was the AT&T 2224B modem
with autodialer.  It worked bi-directionally at 1200 and 2400 bps
(didn't try the 300 bps, yuck) right out of the box with the factory
default configuration.  I suppose it is a bit more expensive than
a Hayes, but probably not more expensive than two Hayes.  (I'm not
a salesperson and don't know pricing.)

Re: the hard disk expansion, there is an expansion board that plugs
into one of the I/O expansion slots in the 3B2 (4 in 300/310, 12 in 400)
called the XDC for eXpansion Disk Controller.  Each XDC can control
up to two of the same drives that we support for the integral hard
disk controller, i.e. 30Meg and 72Meg.  As to price, see comment at
end of the previous paragraph.
--
Ron Heiby {NAC|ihnp4}!cuae2!heiby   Moderator: mod.newprod & mod.os.unix
AT&T-IS, /app/eng, Lisle, IL	(312) 810-6109