Hayes modem on HDB UUCP?

Dave Bloom dave at andromeda.RUTGERS.EDU
Tue Aug 12 06:57:04 AEST 1986

<>

What we have:	A 3B5 running SVR2 with Honey-Danber UUCP, and a
		number of hayes compatible modems.

The problem:	When we set up a modem to be both a dial-in and dial-out,
		the dialing out seems to work fine. However, when one
		dials in, it seems to work once or twice, and then not
		at all until someone dials out again.

The symptoms:	The modem will answer, then immediately drop the line.

Conjecture:	Every time another modem rings our modem, our modem sends
		a "RING" message to the port. Whenever another modem con-
		nects with it, it sends a "CONNECT" message to the port.
		Meanwhile uugetty thinks these are login attempts and by
		that time has sent a "Login incorrect" message back to
		the modem. The modem sees the message, thinks its a
		disconnect command, drops carier, and sends a "NO CARRIER"
		message back to the port. This continues until the login
		times out, but noone is ever able to log back in.

Sidenotes:	The uugetty command we're using: uugetty -r -t 60 contty 1200
		I have tried writing Dialer scripts, using permutations of
		the -h flag for uugetty and removing/adding HUPCL from the
		gettydef.

Plea:		Anyone with ANY ideas, please contact me via e-mail or the
		phone number below.
--
      harvard\ pyramid\				      Dave Bloom
       seismo \  pyrnj \