multiple uucp logins sharing uids and hard links to ttys

Carl S. Gutekunst csg at pyramid.UUCP
Sat Aug 9 11:06:05 AEST 1986

In article <248 at decvax.UUCP> marc at decvax.UUCP (Marc Teitelbaum) writes:
>I've seen a lot on the net recently about both uucp login uids and
>links to tty devices.  Some correct observations, and some incorrect.
>Anyway, heres what i know about this topic.  If you think i've missed
>something please send me mail first before posting to everyone.

Thanks, Marc; I was wondering how Ultrix handles this. I don't think you
missed a thing; I just wanted to add a couple of details for other systems:

- To determine the user name, 4.2bsd UUCP uses a two-step process that sounds
  identical to Ultrix. It also verifies the UID of the login name returned by
  getlogin() with a call to getpwnam(), a check that should never fail.

  4.2bsd uucico does *no* login verification, so linked devices and multiple
  names per UID will not affect it. However, uucp, uux, and uucico (in master
  role) *do* verify names against the USERFILE for pathname permissions. So
  you won't see RLOGIN, but you may see "Access to path/file denied" when you
  weren't expecting it.

- 4.3bsd uses the following *three* step process: Call getlogin(); if getlogin
  returns NULL, retrieve the USER environment variable; if this is also NULL,
  call getpwuid(). The return values from getlogin() and getenv("USER") are
  verified by calling getpwnam(); this makes more sense since it's easy to
  put bogus values in the environment.

  Like 4.2bsd, 4.3bsd does not do login verification; instead it verifies the
  remote hostname (or nodename, for you SV people :-)) against L.sys. (This is
  called "NOSTRANGERS" mode, and was borrowed conceptually from HoneyDanBer.)
  The uucp, uux, and uucico master role checks still apply.

- SVR2 (VAX Version) uucico does login verification, but uses only getpwent()
  to find the user name. (System V has the getlogin() call, so there's no
  reason why UUCP couldn't use it. But it doesn't.) It's thus unaffected by
  linked devices. It does mean, though, that when you have several names per
  UID, it checks USERFILE for the first one in /etc/passwd.

- HoneyDanBer (SVR2.4 (3B version) and SVR3) finds the user name the same way
  that 4.2bsd does. It verifies the login against the Permissions file, and
  sends "RLOGIN" when the name cannot be found. It's thus the most similar to
  Ultrix of the UUCPs I've described here. In addition, HDB will validate the
  remote hostname if the /usr/lib/uucp/remote.unkown file exists and is
  executable ("NOSTRANGERS" mode).

<csg>