BSD support (from Mt. Xinu)

Mike Meyer mwm at mica.berkeley.edu
Sun Aug 3 17:02:07 AEST 1986

Am I the only person who has had good experiences with Mt. Xinu? We
bought a binary from them, and got quick response to problems, almost
always new software by UUCP or over-night mail. Occasionally, we got
"We don't do that, and never claimed to" (which was invariably
correct). However, even in those cases, things weren't hopeless. To
wit:

In article <2489 at brl-smoke.ARPA> rex at usgs3-vms.arpa writes:
>One more item on Mt Xinu's support of BSD.  I've repeatedly asked about support
>for Fortran (no groaning please).  Their usual answer is something like
>"we don't really support Fortran 'cause no one here is into Fortran".
>Since we literally have hundreds of thousands of lines of Fortran here,
>and the 4.2 f77 was essentially shipped broken (later fixed - thanks again
>Donn Seeley & friends), Mt Xinu did not get our business.

I recognize that problem; that's the shape we were in. I recommended
we run VMS instead of Unix because of the thousands of lines of
FORTRAN, and only stopped objecting loudly to Unix after I got a look
at the "new, improved f77" that was floating around at the time
(mid-83).

When the stock 4.2 f77 proved to be unusable, I talked to Donn Seeley
& Mt Xinu, and viola - Mt Xinu got a tape from Donn, and shipped me
binaries of the new version (which Donn couldn't do because of
screwiness in the AT&T license). Worked much better, and everyone was
happy (thanx again, Donn).

We only had one problem that didn't get resolved to everybodies
satisfaction, and that involved some kernel mods specifically for us,
for which Mt. Xinu wanted far to much money. I have no problems
recommending Mt. Xinu to people based on our experiences.

	<mike