VMS-like shell for Unix?

1412 sefunix at NWC-143B.arpa
Sat Aug 2 05:26:09 AEST 1986

Convex is currently developing a VMS Shell for its mini-supercomputer
C1 containing a subset of the VMS commands. I believe Elxsi has a VMS
Shell for its system as well. I am not sure how much of VMS they will
be emulating as far as command functionality (parameters, qualifiers,
and output).

I am having a similar problem. The majority of the systems here run VMS
and UNIX is slowly (!!!) creeping in. I have started work on a VMS (DCL)
shell (in C) to make it easy for VMS users to transition to UNIX; it will
translate VMS commands to their UNIX equivalents (if applicable). I don't
want to give the users too much compatibility because I want them to learn
about UNIX. You're welcome to my current work if it helps at all.

If you discover anything else on this, please let me know.

					- Gene Guglielmo