Rsh_in_CBREAK_mode

Chris Torek chris at umcp-cs.UUCP
Tue Aug 12 18:13:25 AEST 1986

In article <3784 at ut-ngp.UUCP> rsm at ut-ngp.UUCP (Robert S. Maier) writes:
>I have modified 'rsh' to place the stdin TTY in CBREAK mode.  This
>... facilitates the running of remote text editors and such.

>The modified rsh seems to work fine.  Is there any reason why rsh
>wasn't set up to do this from the beginning?

Most certainly.  That is what rlogin is for.

(To those who do not agree, I will say only this:  Yes, it is true
that a CBREAK rsh is not quite the same as rlogin.  That is because
rsh is supposed to be far simpler than rlogin.  Handling the full
job of emulating a local terminal is rather complex; and rsh does
none of the task, while rlogin does as much as it can.)
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 454 1516)
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris
CSNet:	chris at umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris at mimsy.umd.edu