finding files with such-and-such a string in them

Timothy D. Gill gill at wanginst.UUCP
Thu Feb 13 11:36:04 AEST 1986

I need to locate some file of mine, with such-and-such a string in it,
so often that I have this command in my logout:

	find $HOME -print | sort | > $HOME/LISTS/names-of-all-my-files &

and another command, ff (for "find file"), that is simply

	grep -i $1 $HOME/LISTS/names-of-all-my-files

Then I never have to think about it, and can always find what I want.
This mechanism works for projects, too, although it is less useful on a
system-wide basis.