Problem with UUCP on UNIX PC

Larry Campbell campbell at maynard.UUCP
Thu Feb 13 14:56:19 AEST 1986

> For reasons that I won't get into I have been attempting to connect an
> external modem (Rixon R212A - Hayes command format compatable) to my
> AT&T UNIX PC (7300). After playing around with the modemcap and
> L-devices files, I can get CU to work just fine. The problem comes in
> when I try to send files to another system using UUCP.
>
> I keep getting the following messages in the /usr/spool/uucp/LOGFILE:
> TIMEOUT (DIRECT LINE WRITE tty000 10)
> FAILED (call to xrx3b)
>
> My /usr/lib/uucp/L-devices entry looks like this:
> ACU tty000 hayes 1200

I don't know about the UUCP that comes with a 7300, but in *my* UUCP
the L-devices entries look like this (and work):

ACU tty000 tty000 1200 hayes

There are two device fields because of ancient AT&T dialers that had
one device to dial on and another to whistle through.
--
Larry Campbell                                 The Boston Software Works, Inc.
ARPA: maynard.UUCP:campbell at harvard.ARPA       120 Fulton Street