newgrp in 4.2: missing?

Wilson H. Bent whb at vax135.UUCP
Sat Feb 1 04:14:47 AEST 1986

This may have been discussed before, but... (Don't you just hate these
ignorant openers?)

What happened to "newgrp" in 4.2BSD?  I can't get either Bourne Shell or
C Shell to admit anything, and it's not in the manual.  Just to add to
the irritation, it's mentioned (VERY briefly) in the Korn Shell manual,
but I still get "ksh: newgrp not found"!!!

Our use of it is to re-read .profile or .login or whatever, to re-initialize
some shell/environment variables.  I didn't come up with this method, nor
did anyone I can point to, so don't flame me.  My solution is (in this case)
to just put the line ". .profile" in the appropriate place, instead of
"newgrp".  Is there a reason why this won't work?  And why was newgrp dropped?

--
Wilson H. Bent, Jr.		... ihnp4!vax135!hoh-2!whb
AT&T - Bell Laboratories	(201) 949-1277