Unix on top of/in parallel with other operating systems

Laurie Moseley laurie at cybavax.UUCP
Thu Feb 20 21:51:53 AEST 1986

		Unix running under other operating systems

	My university is in the process of replacing some central service
machines and there are two main groups of users whose needs must be met.

1. People who want Unix for both teaching and research i.e. most mainstream
information technology people.
2. People who wish to run large finite-element Fortran jobs, and a variety of
packages such as SPSS and graphics.

	We need to plan for either 2 machines, or one machine which will run
two operating systems in parallel or one on top of the other. We have heard
many informal reports of two operating systems at the same time on one machine,
but so far have not been able to obtain any hard reports of performance.

	If anyone has experience of Unix on top of, or in parallel with, some
other O/S we would be very grateful if you could share it with us. We are
particularly interested in performance and response, but other points would be
welcome too (e.g. any problems of maintaining software under 2 systems, security
,user-reaction)

		With thanks in advance

			Laurie Moseley

Merci	Danke schoen	Gracias	Grazie	Spasibo	Diolch yn fawr	.... etc.