DECMATE II <-> Unix communication & nroff device driver

Bradley S. Brahms brahms at spp3.UUCP
Fri Feb 7 07:53:08 AEST 1986

[}{]

I'm looking for any help in connecting a DECMATE II (with serial
communication ports) word processor to a Unix system (Pyramid).  Let me
explain what we want to do.

	We want to write and develop our documentation on Unix using
	nroff, but are required to ship the documents on 8" floppies using
	the DECMATE II.  The DECMATE II has the ability to transfer
	documents between DECMATEs (via serial line) but when getting
	files from any other host, only printable ASCII text (plus <cr>
	<tab> <lf>) are permitted.  I would like to somehow make our
	Pyramid look like a DECMATE to another DECMATE.  We also need the
	appropriate nroff terminal table to emulate the DECMATE II special
	word processing characters.

	As it stands now, once we move the documents to the DECMATE, we
	will have to go through the document again and add in the special
	characters (underline, etc.).

Thanx for any help that you can provide.

			-- Brad Brahms
			   usenet: {decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!trwrb!trwspp!brahms
			   arpa:   Brahms at usc-eclc

If only we could use LaTeX.