Problem with UUCP on UNIX PC

Dave Mensing.wbst at xerox.arpa
Thu Feb 13 07:11:08 AEST 1986

Here's my problem...

For reasons that I won't get into I have been attempting to connect an
external modem (Rixon R212A - Hayes command format compatable) to my
AT&T UNIX PC (7300). After playing around with the modemcap and
L-devices files, I can get CU to work just fine. The problem comes in
when I try to send files to another system using UUCP.

I keep getting the following messages in the /usr/spool/uucp/LOGFILE:
TIMEOUT (DIRECT LINE WRITE tty000 10)
FAILED (call to xrx3b)

My /usr/lib/uucp/L-devices entry looks like this:
ACU tty000 hayes 1200

My /usr/lib/uucp/L.sys entry looks like this:
xrx3b Any tty000 1200 22842 "" \d ogin:--ogin:--ogin: nuucp

My /etc/inittab entry looks like this:
 000:2:respawn:/etc/getty tty000 1200

In addition to this I have connected a data scope in the RS232 line
between the UNIX PC and the modem. UUCP never sends any data to the
modem. (Strange huh)

So there is my problem. Hopefully someone has encountered this before
and can help.

-- Dave Mensing --

UUCP:   ihnp4!rocksvax!xrx3b!oscdbm!dbm
ARPA:   mensing.wbst at xerox.arpa