Hack, how to pass stage 1 !

Mark Henderson henderso at utcsri.UUCP
Thu Jul 17 11:35:22 AEST 1986

> I know its a silly question, how do you get pass the stage when " a mysterious
> force prevents you from going down " is printed. Thanks in Advance.

>    ______
>  /      \	                                     Isabella
> @( ?  ? )@		                         (sock at gumby.UUCP)
>  (  ||  )                                     (UW-CS DEPT, Madison, WI)
>  ( \__/ )
>   \____/

You should say what version of hack you are using and where. I will assume
you are using some version of PC-HACK, probably its 1.03. If this is the
case the problem is likely in your HACK103.CNF file. It probably contains
a line "RAMDISK=d:", and you don't have a ramdisk in d:. The solution is
to delete this line. By the way, also delete the line
"LEVELS=c:\games\hack" if that exists. Everything should then work. Even
if this isn't applicable in your case, somebody else will probably find
it useful.
I think that the author should have provided a more descriptive error
message like "Ramdisk not found".

Mark Henderson

henderso at utcsri.UUCP
Dept. Computer Science, Univ. of Toronto