Need:"awk" references & indexing utility source

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.UUCP
Thu Jul 31 08:30:57 AEST 1986

> 	I've been using "awk" extensively of late, and I've exhausted my
> available reference material. Does anyone know of a reference on awk that
> goes beyond what can be found in K&P and _Unix Programmer's Manual_ ?

There is a recent Bell Labs Computer Science Tech Report -- unfortunately
I don't recall the number -- which is the programmer's manual for the V8
awk.  The manual has assorted V8isms which you have to ignore if you're
using the V7 awk, but is still a far better awk manual than anything
else yet published.
--
EDEC:  Stupidly non-standard
brain-damaged incompatible	Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology