FORTRAN: VMS vs. ULTRIX (new) vs. 4.2/3 bsd

Jeff Posdamer posdamer at wucs.UUCP
Thu Jul 24 06:20:25 AEST 1986

We are considering a project of porting a commercial piece of software
from DEC-10 (COMPUSERVE) Fortran to MicroVax. The principal candidates for the
target system are VMS and the new ULTRIX Fortran compiler. (PLEASE, I don't
need VMS/Unix flames; that isn't the issue.) Could anyone who has had
experience with comparing VMS vs. ULTRIX or ULTRIX vs. 4.2/3 bsd Fortrans,
please let me know about:

	1. Compiler reliability, speed, ...

	2. Stability and robustness of generated code.

	3. Run-time speed, reliability.

	4. Quality of documentation.

	5. VMS/ULTRIX Fortran compatibility.

Please reply by email. If there is sufficient response, I will post the results
to the net.

				Thanks,
				Jeff Posdamer
				..!{seismo,ihpn4,cbosgd}!wucs!posdamer.UUCP