file xfer problems, 3B2/3B5 Compatibility

sean at avec.UUCP sean at avec.UUCP
Fri Jul 11 10:24:48 AEST 1986

If I may be so bold as to stick my finger into this pie and pass comment:

The 3B2/300 and 3B2/400 are designed to be binary compatible, and as far
as I know this appears to be the case (ie. I haven't come across a case
where it is not).

Now onto the vexed question of 3B5 and floating point processors:-

the 3B2/300 uses the WE32000 processor
the 3B2/400 uses the WE32100 processor
the 3B5 also uses the WE32100 processor.

Therefore, I believe it to be the case that the FPP for the 400 and 3B5 are the
same and no problems should arise.

Our experience has been that we can generate binaries on our 400 under SV.2
and distribute them on floppies for 300 & 400 ** RUNNING EITHER SV.1 OR SV.2
or we can distribute them on 9 track 1/2 tape for 3B5's running SV.2

Footnote:	The 3B2/400 seems to run faster than the 3B5/100