The New UNIX Box: Second Design Round, and Reply Summary

Joe Weinstein joe at dual.UUCP
Tue Jul 1 03:04:05 AEST 1986

If you've seen this before, HELP! This letter got me some good
feedback but a power SNAFU lost my mbox! If you send,  (or RESEND )
me your comments I will reply personally.
( THE NEW COMMENTS ARE BELOW )			Joseph Weinstein
						Dual Systems Corp.
						2530 San Pablo Ave.
						Berkeley, Ca. 94702
						415-549-3854
Hi.
	This  is a  stab  at  some  cheap  marketing  research.
	Would you be interested in a small, FAST UNIX desktop:

	    *  UNIX V.2.2 ( virtual memory ) with fast file system.
	    *  Motorola 68020 at 20 MHZ.   VME bus-based.
	    *  4 meg. on the C.P.U.
	    *  SCSI 80 Mbyte hard disk.
	    *  60 meg. cartridge tape drive.
	    *  4 ports.
	    *  Under $10,000 and no bigger than an IBM PC-AT ?

	Write me or call me.  If I get enough yes votes, we're
	gonna build it.
			Thank You For Your Support...
				Joe Weinstein

* The file system will be the 4.3 Fast File System!
* Sys V UNIX seems to be emerging as the UNIX standard. (IEEE Std 1003.1)
* A low-end Sun is DISKLESS! To get a disk you'd pay $7,000 more at least!
* Cartridge is better than floppy with an 80Mbyte disk, so we go with it.
* Ethernet will be supported at added cost for board and BSD-like software
  like rlogin, rcp etc.
* We'll give you GNU EMACS with sub-process capability.
* No graphics as of now... Sorry. maybe later.
* Cost: OK, we'll dicker... Costs will drop.

PLEASE RESPOND AGAIN AND I'LL ANSWER YOUR CRITIQUE INDIVIDUALLY.