YA AT Clone

Steve Dyer dyer at spdcc.UUCP
Sat Mar 22 18:20:30 AEST 1986

I was looking for an AT clone so that I could run SCO XENIX continuously
rather than switching between DOS and XENIX when the need arose.  Although
I had been considering the Tandy 3000, I noticed that a small distributor
of disk drives, "Software Support" of Framingham MA, was advertising a
machine much like the "PC Limited" clone: 6-8mhz 80286, 1.2mb floppy,
1 mb RAM on motherboard, hard/floppy controller, 2 serial, 1 parallel port,
clock/calendar, all for $2000.  I am not sure of the origins of this board--
I suspect it's a Taiwan knock-off.  The case is a dead look-alike for the
AT case, and it has the same number of bus slots.  Since you get 512K, two
serial ports and one parallel port right on the motherboard, that's like
an extra free slot.

I have had good experience with Software Support in the past buying
floppy drives for my earlier PC ventures.  Certainly, this is a riskier
gamble, but they offer a one year warrantee on the equipment, and they
have been generally quite responsive the few times I've had problems in
the past.   SCO XENIX works like a charm--it didn't even notice the move
from my AT.  I haven't played around with DOS very much, but it seems to
run just about everything I've tried this evening.

I have no financial ties to Software Support, but I *am* a satisfied
customer.  If I develop any unusual problems with the hardware, I'll
mention it here on the net.
--
Steve Dyer
dyer at harvard.HARVARD.EDU