Zilog's version of UN*X

George Robbins grr at cbm.UUCP
Sun Mar 23 09:40:55 AEST 1986

>   Well, I always wanted something different and now I got it!  My
> company now has Zilog Model 31 minis which runs Zilog's Enhanced
> UN*X SYSTEM - Zeus.  It seems to be a basic SYS III port with
> berkeley "enhancements".  Trouble is you never know when to use
> sys III stuff and when to be berkeley!
>   Does anyone out there in net.land have any experience on this
> box?  Any advice would be helpfull.  I didn't even KNOW zilog made
> a UN*X box before this!
> UUCP:	(1) seismo!dolqci!irsdcp!scsnet!sunder		Mark E. Sunderlin
> 	(2) ihnp4!chinet!megabyte			aka Dr. Megabyte
> CIS:	74026,3235					(202) 634-2529

Well, think of it as System III with csh and vi, and you shouldn't have
too many problems.  The manual pages indicate the source of each command,
bell, berkeley or zilog.

There also exists a System V port, but it looks like Zilog is not going
to officially release or support it.  Their new systems will use the same
basic hardware, but the Z8000 processor board will be replaced by one based
on the Western Electric 32000 chip set.

Zilog sells mostly to OEMs and other bulk purchase types.  They sold a bunch
of systems to the IRS, so companies doing programming work for the government
may have gotten some also. There are a few machines on the net (cbm for one)
and some in the netmaps but little communication between them.

Please feel free to contact me...  If anyone is interested in forming a Zilog
mailing list, I would like to hear from them.
--
George Robbins - now working with,	uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbm!grr
but no way officially representing	arpa: cbm!grr at seismo.css.GOV