Any decent Fortrans under Unix ? Which machine ?

Mike I'll be mellow when I'm dead Meyer mwm at ucbopal.BERKELEY.EDU
Wed Mar 5 21:17:51 AEST 1986

In article <161 at desint.UUCP> geoff at desint.UUCP (Geoff Kuenning) writes:
>The problem people are forgetting here is numerical accuracy.  As Gene
>Spafford pointed out a few months back, there are *no* current Unix
>Fortrans that have numerically accurate libraries (I/O is, as usual,
>especially weak).  Many people stick with their Cray, CDC, or DEC Fortran
>because those companies have put many buckos into accuracy, unlike Bell
>
>>	Geoff Kuenning

Interesting statement, especially considering that DEC is selling their VMS
FORTRAN compiler for Ultrix, and Cray provides CFT (the standard Cray
FORTRAN compiler) with Unicos. It appears that they have good libraries and
accuracy, except when they run under Unix :-).

	<mike