Any decent Fortrans under Unix ? Which machine ?

Geoff Kuenning geoff at desint.UUCP
Sat Mar 8 07:39:43 AEST 1986

In article <404 at ucbjade.BERKELEY.EDU> mwm at ucbopal.UUCP (Mike Meyer)

catches me in a rather overblown and obviously unresearched statement:

>> As Gene
>> Spafford pointed out a few months back, there are *no* current Unix
>> Fortrans that have numerically accurate libraries...

I stand chastised;  in fact there *are* accurate Fortran compilers
available under Unix.  Mike mentions that

> DEC is selling their VMS
> FORTRAN compiler for Ultrix, and Cray provides CFT (the standard Cray
> FORTRAN compiler) with Unicos.

and he's right;  these are compilers that have been written carefully.
In DEC's case, this was done (at great expense;  VMS Fortran was
written in BLISS-32) because of f77's low quality.  The moral is that
you should be careful, but you *can* find a decent fortran under Unix.
(In the 68000 world I think fairly highly of Absoft's compiler, though
I'm not sure if they exist any more.)
--

	Geoff Kuenning
	{hplabs,ihnp4}!trwrb!desint!geoff