Vi bug: multi-line abbrev w/ ai set

ajs at hpfcla ajs at hpfcla
Tue Mar 18 06:04:00 AEST 1986

> I want to have an abbreviation that will print out the following 5 lines:
>
>	main(argc,argv)
>		int argc;
>		char *argv[];
>	{
>	}

Off on a tangent:

I have the sneaky suspicion that you are trying to save time writing
programs (an admirable goal).  But, unless you write a lot of quick
little throwaways, you're either going to write some pretty abominable
code, or you don't really want to stick in your .exrc all the stuff a
good "starting point" should include.

Instead, why don't you craft a reasonable "template.c" to suit your
tastes, and just hide in vi the finger macro to read it in?  For
instance, my own "template.c", iteratively refined over time and
including a number of commonly-used utility routines, is 176 lines long.

"Pride in craftsmanship is a winning strategy."

Alan Silverstein, Hewlett-Packard Fort Collins Systems Division, Colorado
{ihnp4 | hplabs}!hpfcla!ajs, 303-226-3800 x3053, N 40 31'31" W 105 00'43"