AIX, System V comparision

Lindsey MS 04396 mlindsey at x102c.harris-atd.com
Tue Jul 11 07:46:29 AEST 1989

In article <3477 at altos86.Altos.COM> thw9759 at ultb.UUCP (T.H. White) writes:
>Well, I think that IBM's AIX blows system V right out of the water! It has
>all of system V's goodies plus a few from BSD like sockets.
>
>Plus, with AIX, and the PS/2's you have IBM support which beats AT&T
>any day. IBM is NOT wasting their time, merely trying to compete and
>hold the edge.

I certainly agree that AT&T has missed the boat.  Because of their arrogance
and incompetence, the UNIX market has splintered.  Maybe their alliance with
SUN with help give them a clue of what people want.

I expect AIX to be a very good OS in the future.  It looks like IBM is fixing
some of the big problems with Sys V UNIX like security and tape utilities.

Hopefully the increased competition will make AT&T improve.

Does anyone out there have any experience with AIX or Mach?  Enquiring minds
want to know.

"The only difference between a madman and myself is that I am not mad"   S. Dali
"If the shoe fits, buy it!"	Imelda Marcos.
Steve Lindsey		|-)	uunet!x102a!mlindsey
(407) 727-5893		:-)	mlindsey at x102a.harris-atd.com