AIX, System V comparision

T.H. White thw9759 at ultb.UUCP
Fri Jul 7 05:00:14 AEST 1989

In article <1100 at altos86.UUCP>, jeff at swusrgrp.UUCP (Jeff Tye sys adm) writes:

> IBM is wasting their time. System V is so far advanced and accepted that
> IBM has no chance of catching up. Unless AIX has some very advanced and
> useful features, it's a waste of everybody's time.
>
> Interactive Systems 386/ix System V 3.2 or SCO's UNIX 3.2 (which
> is in beta now) would be two good choices. They are both available on the
> PS/2 386.

Well, I think that IBM's AIX blows system V right out of the water! It has
all of system V's goodies plus a few from BSD like sockets. AIX also has
a virtual terminal support which tops windows any day. If AIX gets out
there and the price gets low enough to compete with system V (maybe
already is) and the price of the PS/2 hardware would lower also, that AIX
could potentially be as big a hit as DOS.

Plus, with AIX, and the PS/2's you have IBM support which beats AT&T
any day. IBM is NOT wasting their time, merely trying to compete and
hold the edge.

						THW