Multi-processor UNIX

Joseph Boykin boykin at encore.com
Fri Jul 7 05:05:13 AEST 1989

In article <1212 at altos86.UUCP> uunet!tps1.dg.com!dg-rtp!hynes (Ed Hynes) writes:

>Take a look at DG/UX.  It's (the only?) symatrical multi-processor
			      ^^^^^^^^^
I keep hearing folks from DG telling about their UNIX kernel, but I
this posting I just *had* to respond to... No, DG's symmetrical
multi-processor (both CPUS! (I know you're planning on 4, and maybe
even 8)) is not even close to the only one available.  Encore has been
shipping symmetric shared memory multiprocessors (2 CPU minimum, 20
max; although the architecture supports 40).  Our current product line
is based on the National Semiconductor 32XXX series (NS32532 @ 30Mhz is
~ 8.5 MIPS).  We're currently designing a Motorola 88K board (40
CPU's/system).  We also have a DARPA funded contract to produce a 1,000
MIPS system, which will be based on multiple Multimax boxes using a
total of 128 CPU's (again, all of these are symmetric shared memory
multiprocessors).

The following companies make multi-processor computers.  Those with an
asterisk (*) are symmetric multi-processors (the others may be, but I'm
not sure).  In alphabetical order:

    [Moderators Note:-  You should add Altos to that list.  They have a
     fully symmetrical multiprocessor 386 machine running 5.3.1
						- Der]

	* Alliant (FX1/4/8/40/80)
	Amdahl (5890, 5990)
	Apollo (DN10000)
	* Ardent (Titan)
	Concurrent Computer (aka Masscomp) (Various models)
	Convex (C100, C200, C300)
	Cray (XMP, YMP)
	* DEC (3500, 6200, 6300, 8800)
	Edge (1000, 2000)