AIX, System V comparision

Dion_L_Johnson at cup.portal.com Dion_L_Johnson at cup.portal.com
Tue Jul 11 07:49:44 AEST 1989

In some article, Ted White wrote:
-In article <1100 at altos86.UUCP>, jeff at swusrgrp.UUCP (Jeff Tye sys adm) writes:
-> IBM is wasting their time. System V is so far advanced and accepted that
-> IBM has no chance of catching up. Unless AIX has some very advanced and
-> useful features, it's a waste of everybody's time.
-> Interactive Systems 386/ix System V 3.2 or SCO's UNIX 3.2 (which
-> is in beta now) would be two good choices. They are both available on the
-> PS/2 386.
-
-Well, I think that IBM's AIX blows system V right out of the water! It has
-all of system V's goodies plus a few from BSD like sockets. AIX also has
-a virtual terminal support which tops windows any day. If AIX gets out
-there and the price gets low enough to compete with system V (maybe
-already is) and the price of the PS/2 hardware would lower also, that AIX
-could potentially be as big a hit as DOS.
-
-Plus, with AIX, and the PS/2's you have IBM support which beats AT&T
-any day. IBM is NOT wasting their time, merely trying to compete and
-hold the edge.

SCO UNIX System V Release 3.2 is now shipping.  It has BSD style
sockets, multiple screens/sessions at console and terminals, as well
as windowing environments.  It's $895 and runs on _real_ 386s as
well as microchannel machines. ;-)  I dont want to start another
support-flame-war, but many people have said that SCO support
is pretty good.

Dion L. Johnson     disclaimer: They dont know I said this.